Meet the parents polygraph scene setters

Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller recreate Meet The Parent's lie detector scene | Metro News

meet the parents polygraph scene setters

We hope that the experience wets your appetite for father visits to Lithuania Many topics to be discussed would have been familiar from our first meeting in , or The use of the polygraph in Belgium. Against the backdrop of public concern about escalating crime rates and lower police clear-up rates, a study was. gave. Dade. County an experimental met- ropolitan government in This amendment . scene included a metal shaving broken off the ject located his parents will call for him. ell as polygraph examiner. A retired .. Setter Meals. BLITZER: CNN's Karl Penhaul, on the scene for us, as he has been almost from the Vietnam's prime minister meeting with President Bush, a first-ever visit to the White House. . Thousands of Israeli settlers and soldiers will be withdrawn from the . The parents and the family of little Brennan Hawkins.

They were all assigned to the Fire Prevention Bureau. Hiring practices were now directed toward all minority groups to assure that all sexes and races were represented within the Department. One year later, there was another change in the traditional appearance of the Department.

The classic red apparatus were now being replaced with lime-yellow vehicles to make them more visible while on emergency runs. Also, inthe first diesel powered fire engine was purchased and was the trend setter for all fire equipment to be purchased in the future. In January ofEMTs began to train as paramedics. This was a new, supplementary program designed to bring the Dallas Fire Department to the forefront in Emergency Medical Service.

Upon completion of their training, they could administer IV fluids under the supervision and instruction of a medical doctor, transmit EKGs, and take other directions directed by the doctor. On December 16,the paramedic program went live.

Telemetry equipment made it possible for the paramedics to communicate with the doctor at the hospital. This allowed the patient to be transported in a much safer condition than before. In the first year of operations, the Ambulance Division responded to 40, calls. This number was one-third higher than anticipated; however, the demand was met with no loss of efficiency or response time. On April 1,the Operations work week reduced from 56 to 54 hours per week with the institution of Kelly Days.

This system is still in place today. An extra squad was added with the implementation of Squad In addition to this, Squad 1 was now designated as Squad 3, and Squad 2 was renamed Squad In October oftragedy struck the Department again as we lost two firemen from separate incidents on two consecutive days.

The next day, October 10, Melvin Green was bunking out at Station 3 and fell and struck his head. He was transported 3 hours later after developing a severe headache. He died one month later to the day from his injury. These two line-of-duty deaths were the first for the Department since the Golden Pheasant fire in Unfortunately, would prove to be even more deadly, as December would bring the loss of two more firefighters.

They became trapped in apartment after the 14th floor flashed. The two firefighters became disoriented and died of smoke inhalation when they ran out of air. In February, firefighters started using Lexan polycarbonate helmet shields. On May 10th, the U. Justice Department and the City of Dallas reached a settlement regarding minority hiring. Compliance with this mandate, especially with respect to females, was especially difficult. However, Dallas managed to become the top department in the country with regards to hiring women.

Chief Hendrix retired in July after serving the city for forty-two years. Many changes came about soon after his appointment. In August, the official relief time was changed to 7 A.

He also changed the position of Deputy Chief from a promotional position to an appointed position so that the best overall candidate could be determined. One month later, in September, polygraph examinations of applicants for uniformed positions were added to the employee screening process.

On February 20,a Santa Fe train derailed near LBJ and Skillman, rupturing a liquid-propane gas tanker causing it and another propane tanker to explode. The BLEVE was felt as far away as ten miles, damage extended to within a half-mile radius, and the flames which rose several hundred feet in the air were seen from 50 miles away.

Dallas also received its first nitronox unit, one of only six prototypes in the country. It was placed in service on Rescue 6 and later Rescue 3. Thumpers were placed on every ambulance in the city making Dallas the first city to use the devices city wide.

This year also saw the use of our first Scott 4. Perhaps the biggest technological advance in the city that occurred in was the switch from the traditional manual indexing of emergency dispatches to the computer-aided system. Soon, the joker system and the fire alarm boxes were taken out of service, though it took months for all of the boxes to be removed from street corners.

Up to that point, the old joker system would "tap" out every box transmitted in the city at every fire station. The process would start with a citizen triggering a pull box on a corner, and the box number was "tapped" onto a punch card at every fire station in Dallas. The person standing watch would log the box number in the watch book and pull the box card on every box transmitted.

The speakers would only open at the station if that station had a piece of apparatus responding, or if there was a multiple alarm fire going in the city. On April 1,the Department experienced several more changes. The Communication Division, after extensive coordination, made the move from Old Central to the basement of the brand new City Hall. They also installed the Centrex phone system which caused the Department to stop using "2" as the prefix for dialing a station on the mainline; members now had to use the current "47" prefix.

That same year saw a major change in the way promotional examinations were calculated. The new formula completely eliminated the efficiencies from the overall promotional score.

Logan retired in August of as the Department's Chaplain. He had served in that capacity for over 26 years. The Department then did away with the Chaplains position; a decision that was not well received by the members.

They fought the decision, and the position was reinstated two years later. In October, the Investigation Division implemented the "" system, providing an arson investigator on call 24 hours a day. There was also a change in the station uniform worn by members. Chambray shirts, denim jeans and no ties became the official duty uniform. In May of the first large diameter hose fire engine went into service at Station 15 followed by Station 8 in November.

These engines were 1, gpm pumpers constructed on a Ford chassis with a Caterpillar V-8 diesel engine. These soon became standard equipment as well as the task-force-tip TFT nozzles which had been tested at Station 6 and Station Paramedics were affected in August of as it was determined that the number of certified paramedics was sufficient enough to allow some of the original members to be replaced.

At this time, they had all served seven years as EMTs and paramedics. The proposed series would eventually include twelve volumes in blue binders, with room for expansion if necessary. October saw a raise for medics.

One of the last occurrences in forever changed building regulations for the City of Dallas. In November, a close city council vote passed a city ordinance banning untreated wood shingle roofs in new construction.

After the smoke cleared, 88 apartments had been damaged or destroyed and over people were left homeless. The 's came to a close with the last of the administrative offices being moved from Old Central Fire Station at Main to the 7th floor of City Hall. The Department pressed forward in technology as they tried to stay on the cutting edge; they started installing radio-controlled overhead door openers in all of the fire stations.

That same year, the Maintenance Division began to make "house calls" to fire stations for minor apparatus repair. The summer of marked a record-setting heat wave in America. Dallas felt the heat as the Department answered 54 multiple alarm fires in a 79 day span with each of those days averaging 20 grass fires.

Innovation continued in EMS as the Department started call-screening by hiring a nurse that screened all requests for medical attention. This honor would be short lived, however, as the Department would once again suffer tragedy. On August 21,the Department was mourning yet another loss of two firefighters in the same fire. Charles Rogers and Edward Metters died of smoke inhalation when they became trapped after part of the roof collapsed behind them, cutting off their means of egress.

They were found next to a large window made of double-pane tempered glass which was unbreakable. They were apparently trying to break the glass out to escape when they were overcome by the smoke. This allowed members at the station to check the status of active incidents as well as electronically enter run reports eliminating reams of paper work produced by the old system.

Officers on all fire apparatus also received a portable radio to improve communication away from the apparatus and on the fireground. There were several other changes and additions to the Department in One other piece of equipment introduced that year was the automatic center-punch for breaking tempered glass.

This vital piece of equipment was introduced as a result of the deaths of Charles Rogers and Ed Metters. The Dallas Firefighter's Association celebrated its 25th anniversary inand the members now had another employee association available as the Black Firefighters Association was introduced.

The Department received a federal grant in which helped start the free smoke detector program for citizens of Dallas. The first year saw over 4, smoke detectors installed in residences throughout the city.

Also that year, the city began using American LaFrance apparatus which began the transition back to red fire engines and trucks. This marked the 50th station in existence for the Dallas Fire Department, and it was the first fire station built outside of Dallas County. It is in Collin County, but it is still in the Dallas city limits.

This station was also the first station to have the number "0" included in its name for many years due to the old joker system's inability to recognize zeros. The new dispatch system now recognized zeros, so the Department could now designate station numbers to include zero. Two additional ambulances were placed in service which brought the Departments total to 20 frontline MICUs. There was one program suspended that year; after a controversial complaint, the call-screening nurse program was put on hold while an investigation into the complaint and the efficiency of the program got under way.

The Republican National Convention came to Dallas in With the whole country watching our every move, a fire broke out at the Texas School Book Depository. This building, and Dallas for that matter, drew a notorious reputation for the role it played in the assassination of John F.

Kennedy some 21 years earlier. However, the efforts of the Dallas Fire Department were faultless as literally the whole world looked on; it was a bittersweet moment for the City and Department as its members shined but at the same time lost a piece of history. The fledgling specialty teams saw changes as their place on the Department began to take hold. The HazMat program saw a big boost as the budget that year allowed for vast expansions.

EMS also continued to change, as it should have, for marked the first year in department history that fire apparatus were dispatched to more medical emergencies than fire emergencies. Medical technology saw advances as nine new automatic defibrillators were being tested in the field. Additionally, Parkland Hospital nurses replaced dispatchers at Biotel. The Department itself experienced change and expansion.

There was also a feasibility study in place testing Mobile Data Terminals on Engines 4 and 11 as well as a Research and Plans vehicle. Squads 20, 32, and 46 were placed in service while Boosters 51 and 46 were deactivated.

The resiliency of the Department's members showed time and time again as response to major incidents took them beyond the city limits. January of marked a deadly month for the citizens and the Department as 14 civilians were killed in fires. The infrastructure of operations was also expanded as Battalion 11 went into service.

In addition to this, the EMS supervisory system was expanded to three zones. This was also the first year that Nomex firefighting hoods were issued to members. It had been over five years since the Department had lost one of its own. However, on February 25th,firefighter Dale Rhine lost his life fighting a house fire in what investigators determined to be a backdraft.

The memorial service was attended by over mourners. That was also the year that DFD placed a tiller truck in service at Station 3, the first tiller truck the city had in service since The Hydrant Maintenance Program was initiated, gas-powered positive-pressure ventilation fans were placed in service, and a new Electronic Messaging system came about in This year would not end on a good note, however, as the Department would lose another member.

On December 3rd, recruit Adrian Cal died after he collapsed several weeks earlier during skills testing at the drill tower. He became the first African-American member, as well as, the first recruit to die in the line of duty. It was determined that he died from a rare medical condition. These are audible devices worn on the coats of firefighters who are working in a structure fire. Just before entry, the firefighter activates the device. If the firefighter is incapacitated in any way and lies still for a certain period, the device emits a loud noise.

This alerts firefighters that another member is down, and it makes the victim easier to locate. This also marked the year that the system began operation. The Department also eliminated District 4 and concurrently moved Battalion 1 to Station 4 and Battalion 3 to Station 8. On the other hand, the city did see some additions to its fire department.

A new step-raise plan was implemented which set up incremental raises at each rank based on merit. That year also saw the addition of Boosters 18, 20, 51, 52 and The end of the decade brought about a controversial system of response. Inthe new Task Force system was implemented.

It consisted of groups of responders called Task Forces and Light Forces. A Task Force consisted of two engines and a truck and a Light Force consisted of an engine and truck. Individual companies' run totals skyrocketed as more manpower and emergency vehicles were dispatched to incidents as simple as a medical emergency.

The manpower squads were also eliminated in That same year the Communications Division moved to its new space in the City Hall basement while going to a 4-shift rotation. The 's brought about more technological advances as Mobile Data Terminals were installed in engines and MICU's to relieve radio congestion and improve response times.

That same yearthe Department began testing traffic control devices to aid in station apparatus getting out of the house without being delayed by passing vehicles. The Peak Demand MICU program was further expanded with three extra units being placed in service, and they were now running seven days a week. The unpopular Task Force was further enhanced. There were several new policies and standards implemented in that are still in practice today. The first standard, which was a safety issue, dealt with minimum staffing, and this was made possible through hirebacks.

The substance abuse policy was also started which allowed supervisors to request drug testing with a just cause. In fire prevention, a uniform fire code was adopted. The Fire Prevention and Education Division also introduced two educational tools that targeted children. Inall MICUs were equipped with a cell phone. There was also a plan developed to install underground fuel vaults at all fire stations in the city.

And, for the first time in Department history, t-shirts were allowed to be worn during certain activities. Personnel accountability came to the forefront in when the Department integrated Personnel Accountability Procedures into the Incident Command System.

The Department also established a sexual harassment policy. Arson and Fire Investigation received a new member in their division in the form of a canine. Cinder the arson dog was trained to detect accelerants which helped pinpoint their locations in a shorter time.

This proved to be vital as it reduced the amount of samples investigators had to collect and analyze. Inthe Communicable Disease Coordinator position was created in EMS to help paramedics and firefighters keep up with immunizations as well as stay informed of communicable diseases. The drug abuse policies were further expanded with the implementation of random drug testing at all fire stations. Inthe Departments first ever Health Fair was held. This was a program developed to offer employees and their families low cost health care screening and exams.

This program was extremely successful and it is still, to this day, a highly attended event. As EMS celebrated 25 years of service, turned out to be another year which witnessed expansion and growth on the Department, including the City of Dallas. This new facility, along with the implementation of the whole DART rail system, sparked new additions to the Manual of Procedures as well as extensive training to prepare members for related emergencies.

In December, the system began operating giving the citizens of Dallas a means to access city services in a non-emergency capacity. The close of the century brought about change in the Department's equipment, safety standards, and leadership. The city also had to prepare for the technological issues which would be brought on by Y2K. In May ofthe Department approved the use of helmets with goggles attached to them. The Department had experienced a great deal of change and expansion throughout his tenure.

Chief Miller stated that one of his crowning achievements during his tenure was the building and completion of the Drill Tower at Dolphin Road; the facility would be named after him several years later. As the new century was born, the City experienced little to no difficulties with the Y2K technology conversion.

This was in part to the extensive preparations that had taken place over the previous couple of years. Prior to this, the crash unit was manned by personnel at Station 49 whenever it was needed. In July ofthe Department broke tradition by hiring its first Fire Chief from outside of the Department. He was eager to continue our department's goal to be a progressive and top-rated department.

City of Dallas: Dallas Fire-Rescue Department

In order to do this, some simple as well as drastic changes had to take place. Chief Abraira put into place procedures to insure the safety of members as they worked incidents on major highways. Truck companies are now dispatched to all of these incidents to block the oncoming traffic from firefighters working at the scene. It also increased the run numbers for truck companies at a time when it was rumored that some truck companies were on the chopping block.

This program also serves as a recruitment tool for potential firefighters. On March 10,the Department would be suffering the loss of another one of its members. Gerald Fields suffered a major heart attack and died while on duty at the station. His death was one of the first times that a heart attack was recognized as an "in the line-of-duty" death.

Before then, only firefighters who died while responding to or actually engaged in duties at an emergency scene were recognized as a death in the line of duty.

meet the parents polygraph scene setters

His death prompted the Department to add the names of firefighters who had died from natural causes while on duty to the Firefighter's Monument and have their pictures added to the halls of the Academy.

All occurrences on our Department or any occurrence in the country for that matter paled in comparison to the events that unfolded on September 11, The country's sense of security and the face of public safety would forever be changed when two hijacked planes struck the World Trade Center in New York City.

Among the 3, plus Americans that died that day were of our brothers and sisters. He and a fellow firefighter Chuck Womble were buried under a pile of brick and rubble after a wall collapsed on them as they walked past. That summer, on July 11th, the Department would see its greatest fire loss in a single family dwelling in the Department's history. Fortunately, there was no loss of life in the incident. Then, in December, the training program for paramedics changed drastically.

Instead of the trainees going straight-through paramedic school after finishing the Academy, they were assigned to a district and shift somewhere in the city.

Then, on one of their days off, they attended paramedic school and clinical rotations. The Department had lost its second member in a year and its third in two years. He was part of the initial attack crew and became unconscious shortly after a 2nd alarm was requested. Inmore changes took place. One piece of new firefighting equipment was added to the engines; the piercing nozzle.

The box card system that the Department had used for many years also changed. It simplified the way box numbers were assigned; the first two numbers of the four-digit box number reflected the first-due station. The next two numbers reflected the direction the box lied in relation to the station; was to the northeast; was to the southeast; was to the southwest, and signaled a box northwest of the station.

If the station had a high-rise building in its first up district, its last two numbers were a 90 series number.

On February 12th,the Department was again mourning as Wayne Clark, a 46 year old recruit collapsed and died while running a routine drill at the Academy. Although efforts to revive him began immediately upon his collapse, Clark never regained consciousness and was later pronounced dead at the hospital. Then, one month later, the Manual of Procedures in its entirety was placed on the IDS eliminating the bulky hard copies that took up a lot of room in the station libraries.

By October, all hirebacks, run reports, and the daily were done exclusively on the IDS. Perhaps the biggest change that occurred in was the issuing of a new style of uniform. Gone were the blue button-up shirts and Dickies work pants; we now sport dark navy polo pullovers shirts with utility cargo pants to complete the ensemble.

In Februaryall fuel used by department apparatus began being logged on the IDS. That's coming up next. A massive mission to save Vietnamese children at the end of the war 30 years ago. One survivor shares her story.

A generation ago, there was war. A decade ago, the two former enemies established diplomatic relations. Now, Vietnam's prime minister has made history, with a first-ever visit to the White House.

And despite some lingering protests, President Bush has promised a reciprocal visit of his own.

meet the parents polygraph scene setters

Prime minister graciously invited me to Vietnam. I will be going in The prime minister says he was very pleased by what he heard from President Bush, especially his support for Vietnam's admission into the World Trade Organization. He expressed his strong support for Vietnam's accession. I think that is because Vietnam's WTO membership would not only be in the interest of Vietnam, but also would be in the interest of America, of the American business community.

Despite the bitterness of the war, he says it's time for both Americans and Vietnamese to move on. The war ended more than 30 years ago. And we believe that it is now time for us to look towards the future. Still, he says it's not time yet for a Vietnamese leader to pay a visit to the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington.

I find this visit not really an appropriate time, and I'll save it for another visit. He says he would first like President Bush next year during his visit to Vietnam to make a similar gesture to the Vietnamese people, whom he says suffered a lot more than the Americans. I believe that the two sides will continue to discuss that matter. But I would like to tell you that the sacrifices that the Vietnamese people had to endure and had to suffer is much greater than what America has had to.

He also made the point of thanking all the anti-Vietnam War protesters in the United States, who he says helped end the war. And I can recall that hundreds of thousands of American people took to the street in support of Vietnam during the war.

I asked him about the possibility that Vietnam move away from Communist Party rule. As you know, your critics will argue that communism in Vietnam, that you're on the losing side of history. Only a few communist regimes left -- Cuba, North Korea, China. Is it time to move away from communism?

meet the parents polygraph scene setters

We have been shifting our economy from a centrally-planned economy to a market economy. But even as we spoke, demonstrators were outside the hotel, protesting what they charge are human rights abuses in Vietnam.

Well, one of them is quoted as saying this -- a Vietnamese- American who came here from Georgia -- he says, quote, "This guy --" referring to you -- "has no right to be here.

He is a liar. He claims there is freedom in Vietnam, but there is no freedom. Well, the population of Vietnam is 83 million. I do not know who this gentleman would represent. And the prime minister made a point of his support for closer U. One little question on the flags that you're wearing on your lapel. When you look at that, the two flags right over there, what does that mean to you, wearing those two flags on your lapel?

DFRD Information

I find it very interesting, because we have been able to criticize the past and look toward the future. On the sensitive issue of religious persecution in Vietnam, he insisted there was no government effort to deny religious rights to anyone, although he said, sometimes, on the local level, improper activities do take hold. When we come back, signs of a shift in the White House. Is the White House planning -- of changing its Social Security reform plan?

We'll take a closer look at precisely what the president's position is right now. Also, just months ago, he was riding a wave of broad bipartisan support, so why is Arnold Schwarzenegger's popularity now plummeting? Plus, critical talks today between the Israeli and Palestinian leaders. We'll show you what's at stake and what has happened. In less than two months, Israel plans to pull out from Gaza.

There's not a lot of time left to coordinate the withdrawal with the Palestinians. As fresh violence threatens a shaky cease-fire, the Israeli prime minister, Ariel Sharon, met today with the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas. Tuesday's talks were supposed to rekindle hope but neither Israelis nor Palestinians seem satisfied. What was presented to us was not satisfying.

It was a difficult meeting. It was not up to the level of our expectations. Difficult, the Palestinian prime minister said, because few concrete matters were resolved. Palestinian officials wanted to talk about prisoners in Israeli jails and on-going Israeli settlement expansion in occupied areas. Israeli leaders wanted to talk about recent Palestinian militant attacks on Israeli targets. We heard good intentions from the Palestinian side, but we haven't seen action to stop terrorists.

The two sides made vague commitments to cooperate on Israel's upcoming pullout from Gaza which is set to begin in eight weeks. Thousands of Israeli settlers and soldiers will be withdrawn from the occupied Gaza strip, a step both sides agree can help revive the U.

In the meantime, Israel said it was prepared to hand over security control to Palestinian police in two West Bank cities. The talks were described as frank and lengthy, but after two hours at the negotiating table, Israelis and Palestinians simply agreed to meet again. For Israelis, the spotlight quickly shifted from the summit to a tragedy in the southern part of the country.

Officials say at least seven people died when a passenger train collided with a large truck near the town of Kuriat Gat ph. Nearly others were injured. Passengers were thrown from the train. At least two of the cars were left as twisted wrecks. Air Force helicopters were called in to evacuate the victims.

Police believe the crash was an accident. A new development potentially in the Social Security battle. Is President Bush ready to back down on private accounts? Puny poll numbers for California's governor. Is Arnold Schwarzenegger losing his star power? Arnold Schwarzenegger's approval ratings plummeting. Why the actor turned governor seems to be losing support. We'll get to that. First, though, a quick check of other stories now in the news.

Our top story, year-old Brennan Hawkins, the boy scout who had been missing four days in the Utah mountains has been found by rescuers. Authorities say the boy was weak and dehydrated but otherwise in good health.

He'll be checked over at an area hospital. Very good news for basketball fans. There will be no NBA lockout. After four consecutive days of talks, owners and players' representatives have agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement to replace the current contract, which was due to expire at the end of the month.

You can check out CNN's most popular video of the day at cnn. Click on the video link at our Web site, look for the most popular video of the day. Watch it as many times as you want whenever you want.

It's a new way to experience the power of CNN video. Significant signs today of a possible shift in President Bush's plan to overhaul Social Security. Well, Wolf, the White House categorically denies that this is a shift in policy, but the comments of one Senate Republican who first talked to the president and then talked to us are certainly raising some questions.

Emerging from an hour long lunch and class photo with President Bush, republican senators made news. Senator Robert Bennett announced that President Bush encouraged him to go forward with his bill to overhaul Social Security that does not include the president's plan to establish private accounts.

He just said I like your bill period. Bennett says the president would prefer to keep private accounts in the Social Security legislation but that this may signal that the White House, struggling to win support, is opening the door to alternatives.

We have a lot of hope that we can use this bill to break the log jam and move forward on Social Security. We'll find out in the weeks to come, but it's nice to know that the president is on top of this and is fully aware of what we're doing and is encouraging me to go forward. White House aides say the president is not abandoning private accounts but see Bennett's plan as a possible test case to see if democrats who refused to talk about overhauling Social Security unless private accounts are taken off the table are serious about reform.

This puts the ball back in their court and gives them an opportunity to really maybe put their money where their mouth has been. What's the latest, Suzanne, on the nomination of John Bolton? Is the president ready to go around the Senate and have a recess appointment?

Well, certainly White House aides are talking about that as a possibility. We're also hearing word from Republicans on the Hill that that is a likely possibility. The president has not committed to that so far. There is some talk, as well as negotiations behind the scenes about some of those documents, that information, but certainly the president standing fast today behind his nominee.

Also the Senate Republican leadership, as well. Suzanne Malveaux at the White House, thanks, Suzanne, very much. What a difference a year has made for the California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Free Inspirational Movie Clips for Teaching and Sermon Video Illustrations at

His recall ride into office was on a wave of popular bipartisan support, but now he ranks among the state's most unpopular governors in modern times. So, what exactly has happened? CNN's Brian Todd has been looking into that question and is joining us now live.

Wolf, the analysts we spoke to say what happened is a cautionary tale in modern politics. That no matter how much moment you have going into office, if you pick too many fights with too many people at the same time, the tide can turn very quickly.

A political honeymoon comes crashing down. I guarantee you that all of us in this building can share blame. Arnold Schwarzenegger responds to devastating poll numbers. Worse than Gray Davis had a year before he was recalled. It's very clear what the people are basically saying to us is work together, do what you did so well last year.

Work together and solve the problems together. The Field Poll just released gives Governor Schwarzenegger an approval rating of just 37 percent among California's registered voters. Still we above Davis's all time low just before the recall, but how did it get to this point for the Hollywood star who swaggered into Sacramento as a nonpartisan outsider. The relationship began to erode when they got into a squabble over the state budget and Schwarzenegger came to believe he was being jerked around by the legislature, which they deny, of course.

And ever since then, an escalating war. Schwarzenegger's attempts to cut costs have also angered some important unions.

He's gone against the firefighters over pension plans. Schwarzenegger's got to go. Against nurses over staffing and has clashed with the teachers' union over funding and tenure, leading to some brutal political ads. The governor's always running around talking about reform. But to me, it sounds a lot more like breaking his word on education. Schwarzenegger's aides tell CNN this ad campaign is largely the reason for his slide in the polls, but the governor so adept at managing his message has had some public embarrassments like last week when some in the crowd turned on him during a commencement address at Santa Monica Community College, his alma mater.

And when he made one of his boldest political moves. Today I signed the proclamation calling for a special election. That was the same day of the Michael Jackson verdict and Schwarzenegger got scant statewide media coverage. That special election this fall when he seeks support on budgeting, redistricting and teachers' initiatives is seen as crucial for him.

Analysts say he may not run for reelection next year if he loses on those ballots. What are the national implications? One-eighth of Americans live in California. And it is a trend setter. He's also a test case of whether someone can govern above politics, and reconcile Democrats and Republicans. And if he fails, it will look like partisan polarization has once again triumphed. Arnold Schwarzenegger can take heart from one result of this poll.

That state legislature he's been battling for more than a year has lower approval ratings than his, Wolf. Brian Todd, thanks very much. Let's head out to Utah right now. This is Brennan Hawkins, that little year-old boy who was rescued after four days in the wilderness. That's the brother we're told. But there is Brennan Hawkins.

He's on the stretcher just getting out of an ambulance about to go into the hospital. He managed for four days apparently all by himself to get through and to survive eventually some individuals -- rescue volunteers on horse back managed to spot him. He's there with his parents. You can see, I think that's his mother talking right now. I don't know if we can hear what she says.

But let's listen in. That we were able to find him today. We want to thank every single person at the command post that made a sandwich. That sent food, businesses, Toby's co-workers. You will never know of our love and our support for each one of you. Our family and friends have been our rock.

Our deepest thanks goes to the Summit County sheriff, search and rescue teams, the swift water rescuers, the dog handlers -- I don't know all the people that were there. We have never known men of such integrity and faith and honor in our lives. The Bardsley family, we love you. People say that the heavens are closed and God no longer answers prayers. We are here to unequivocally tell you that the heavens are not closed, prayers are answered and children come home.

We love you, we thank you. We'll talk to you later. They're going inside the hospital right now. The parents and the family of little Brennan Hawkins. He was on the stretcher. This is the video that we just saw.

Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller mock White House troubles with Meet The Parents’ lie detector scene

He's being removed from the ambulance going inside. Obviously in some sort of medical discomfort. But he's alive and we're told under the circumstances, four days by himself, four long days and nights out in the wilderness of Utah all by himself.

I guess it's fair to say nearly miracle louse recovery, an opportunity for everyone to sit back, to thank the Lord for what has happened and relieved parents clearly, relieved parents who clearly had feared the worst. But the best result has developed. We'll continue to watch the story for you. Stay with CNN throughout the night for the latest developments on the remarkable story of this year-old boy Brennan Hawkins. We'll take a quick break.

When we come back, a new high profile assassination in Lebanon. Why it's fueling talk of a hit list. And 30 years later, an emotional return for the children of what was called Operation Babylift.

Polygraph Questions - Meet the Parents

A remarkable journey back to Vietnam. Thirty years ago, we saw the violent climax to a tragic conflict that impacted millions of lives, but the end of the Vietnam War marked the beginning of a new odyssey for many who found themselves swept away to a strange new land. Like so many able to get out inI feel like I am among the lucky ones. I'm the daughter of an American serviceman, a Vietnamese college student, a child born of war. But April 19th, changed all of that.

We had to leave Vietnam because anyone associated with the Americans were considered marked for death. There was no choice. My mother had to say good-bye to her parents. Not knowing if she would ever see them again. I can't imagine the pain but we were leaving. We had to go.

And under the cover of darkness, we headed toward a cargo plane with paperwork in hand. We packed in like sardines. We sat on the floor. And we were headed to this new home, this place called America. But it wasn't as easy as a plan ride away. We had to go from refugee camp to refugee camp.

In fact, in the Philippines, that's where we learned that Saigon had fallen to communism, my mother can remember it so vividly to this day. It was as if she had no country. As if she was lost. Out there with no place to go back to. She didn't know this new land called America. She was just kind of walking on faith. But thankfully, we were able to finally make it to America. To the land of opportunity, the land of freedom. Those of us came over here in April are an a part of history. We are the keepers of the past.

We need to make sure future generations never forget. Make sure they learn their culture, their language, their traditions, make sure they learn Vietnam wasn't just about a war. It's about a people. My family and I started a charity called Help the Hungry and every year we go back to provide humanitarian aid to help those struggling families, men, women, children.

These are people just like us. I was given an opportunity but now it's my turn to help those who may never see that opportunity. And about the same time Betty was fleeing Vietnam, dozens much other orphans were being shuttled out in a massive mission dubbed Operation Babylift.

Tiana Mykkeltvedt was one of them. Tiana, thanks very much for joining us, as well. Your story is different. Tell our viewers what happened to you.

Well, I was an orphan just outside of Saigon and I was left at a Catholic orphanage, walked to an orphanage by a nun. And from there, I boarded a plane as a part of Operation Babylift and arrived in Atlanta, Georgia, on April 26th, You were just a few weeks old at the time.

You were a little baby. And you recently went back on this mission to Vietnam. Tell us how that happened and what happened to you. Well, this past Sunday, I boarded a plane with World Airways who was the airline that brought the first planeload of babies over to America. And they sponsored an incredible trip back.

We got to meet with 20 other adoptees who came to America as part of the Babylift. We visited an orphanage. We got to visit with pilots who flew planes during Operation Babylift, with flight attendants who changed diapers and burped us and fed us on the plane ride over.

It was an incredible experience. Was there any opportunity to look for the birth mother, the birth father, anything along those lines? And from the records that I've seen, it would be incredibly difficult for me personally to find my birth parents because it was the end of the war.

The fall of Saigon and so there was a lot going on in the country at the time. Betty, update our viewers. What was it like growing up in the United States as a little girl, refugee in effect, from Vietnam. You know, I grew up as an American girl. That's why my parents brought me here, to live the American dream to, become an American.

In our household, we spoke English. That was the main concern, to become a part of this new country, this new world. This new language and this new culture.

To me, I don't know anything else. And there's a sense of sadness to that because I so longed to reconnect with those Vietnamese roots. Yes, I do have my mother and I'm thankful she's here and able to teach me the culture and the language and all these little things about Vietnam that I may never be able to understand without that help. But there is that sense of yes, I am a Vietnamese American, I am proud and thankful, but at the same time, there's that longing to reconnect with this country that's not only my birth country but it's a country that still feels very foreign.

Betty, and Tiana, both of you very successful. Tiana is an attorney clerking for a federal judge, about to go into private practice. Betty is our own anchor here at CNN. What kind of bond did the two of you share? Let me ask Betty first. I think the bond we share is a simple fact that we experienced the same things.

I was talking to her and saying you know what, you even have that southern accent. I grew up in Texas, I can pull it out, as well. We're just as American as anybody else and we're so proud of that, but at the same time, I don't want to speak for you, but is that sense of longing that you want to reconnect with those Vietnamese roots, you want to learn more about who you are and where you came from?

In as a part of that, I traveled to Vietnam as part of a study abroad so I could find out what the country was like, what the people are like because there is definitely that connection to the country of your birth that you share. But I agree with Betty. I feel very American. And am so thankful for the opportunities that I've had. And thankful to all the people who have worked as part of the Babylift and who cared about an orphan baby girl that had no one to turn to.